This vegan chocolate banana bread with toasted hazelnuts combines three amazing ingredients in one recipe. The natural sweetness of the over-ripe bananas, the decadence of dark chocolate and then some toasted notes from the hazelnuts, all this together makes this amazing banana bread.
You can call me healthy
It looks like a treat, but this chocolate banana bread can be perfectly eaten for breakfast, as a pre-workout snack for an energy boost, or with your mid-morning cup of coffee or tea. It’s not too sweet, but just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. Kids will love this, too.
When your bananas look like this…
… then it’s time to pre-heat your oven. Mix together a few ingredients more and bake this chocolate banana bread. I added toasted hazelnuts, you can buy them in any health store. In case you do only find raw hazelnuts you can easily toast them by yourself. Just place them on a baking tray and bake them in the oven at 180ºC during 10 minutes. In order to remove the skins place the hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and gently rub together.
If you’re a super-chocaholic
Then you can even add 50 gr of extra dark choc chips in the dough. In this recipe I just used a good quality, non-sweetened cacao powder. Make sure these tablespoons are nicely heaped so you get this yummy chocolate flavour.
Slice & freeze
If you prepare this recipe in advance, or want to keep this chocolate banana bread with toasted hazelnuts extra fresh, then I recommend you slice it and freeze the slices separately. So when the sweet cravings hit you, you can just take out a slice, let it de-freeze and enjoy with your cup of coffee.
Like all of my recipes, this chocolate banana bread is dairy free and egg free & 100% plantbased, vegan.
Check out my other recipe for these kids-friendly Banana Bread Squares or in case you need an even more indulgent cake I can highly recommend this Chocolate Marble Cake with Coconut.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 200 gr oats
- 150 gr hazelnuts toasted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cacao powder make sure these are 3 heaped tbsp
- 5 bananas over-ripe
- 200 gr apple puree
- 7 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/4 cup hazelnut milk or almond or any other plantbased milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Ground the oats in a food processor.
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse a few times until they are half ground, half chopped.
- Mix oats and hazelnuts with the salt and cacao powder in a big bowl.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the bowl.
- Add also the apple puree, maple syrup and the hazelnut milk. Mix everything well together.
- Add baking soda and baking powder. Add apple cider vinegar on top and let it bubble up. Then stir through just enough that it gets well integrated in the dough. Don't over-stir otherwise the cake won't raise in the oven.
- Transfer the dough into loaf tin and bake at 180ºC during 60 minutes aprox.
This cake can be perfectly eaten for breakfast or as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack together with a cup of coffee or tea. It can also be frozen, I usually cut it into slices and then freeze them separately.
Feel free to share this recipe with your friends & family by clicking the corresponding button of your preferred social media channel.
Shop this recipe
Click on the links below in order to shop the ingredients or equipment used in this recipe.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR