A healthy treat
It’s spring and summer is coming and the first berries are here, at least here in Spain. I’m a huge berry lover and always looking out for berry recipes. These vegan berry muffins with a cashew-date-caramel centre are – when I’m honest – by accident oil-free. I haven’t planned that, but once they were already in the oven I realized that I forgot to add any kind of oil, no coconut, no sunflower, nor olive oil and no butter at all.
But when I tried them they were actually really, really good. Fluffy, moist, naturally sweet and very satisfying. I think this creamy cashew-date-caramel centre compensates it all. We have all seen the caramel slice recipes with chocolate which are all over the food blog place. I thought I will pack it in the middle of these muffins.
A twist to the usual date caramel
I looove cashews. They’re also a very important source of zinc for us vegans. So for this date caramel I used cashew butter. It makes it all so nice and creamy and making date caramel is so easy. All you need is a food processor or a blender.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Pre- & Post-Workout
… these berry muffins can be eaten at any time of the day. They have no refinded sugar, no oil, are gluten free and packed with energy of the cashews and almonds in them. They go perfectly along with your afternoon tea or mid-morning coffee. A nice snack for kids as well, they usually love berries. Of course you can swap the raspberries for any other berry you have available, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
Make a big batch and freeze them, so you have a healthy treat available whenever the sweet cravings hit you next time.
More fruity cake recipes you can find here:
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup almonds ground
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 bananas over-ripe
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 45 ml maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1.5 cup raspberries fresh or frozen, or any other berries you like
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dates as soft as possible, even medjool dates if available
- 1 tbsp cashew butter heaped
- 1/4 cup water or less
- Place all the Cashew-Date-Caramel in a food processor and blend. Add the water step by step, just enough that you get a smooth, creamy caramel consistency.
- Once you have the consistency, leave aside and make the muffins.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Mix coconut, ground almonds, buckwheat flour and pinch of salt in a big bowl.
- Mash the bananas, mix with the lemon juice and add to the bowl.
- Add raspberries, almond milk and maple syrup and mix well.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and baking powder on top of the muffins dough. Add the apple cider vinegar on top and let it bubble up a bit.
- Carefully mix again, just enough that everything is well together.
- Take a muffin pan. Either oil it or use, just like I did, some muffins cups. Place 1 tbsp of the muffins dough in each muffin cup.
- Then add 1 tsp of the cashew-date-caramel on top of it.
- Top with the rest of the muffin dough.
- Bake at 180ºC during 30 minutes.
These healthy muffins can be eaten literally at any time of the day, for breakfast, dessert, afternoon tea or when craving something sweet at night when your chill and netflixin'.
They can also be frozen without any problem.
Feel free to share this recipe with your friends & family by clicking the corresponding button of your preferred social media channel.
Shop this recipe
Click on the links below in order to shop the ingredients or equipment used in this recipe.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR