Quick, easy & super deliciousThat’s the best way to describe this Jam Cake with toasted Hazelnuts aka the “quickie” or “lazy” cake with only 10 ingredients. Ingredients you probably already have at home. I was thinking to name this the “lazy cake” because it’s so simple and easy to make, you basically just need one big pan, a measuring cup and a mixing spoon. Ideal to do with kids as well.
Perfect for tea or coffee breakI would say this is a perfect cake to enjoy with a nice cup of coffee or tea. The toasted hazelnuts combine so well with the blueberry jam, it’s sweet, but not too much and has this toasty, nutty flavour. I really enjoy this with my mid-moring Oat Lattes.
Swap ingredientsYou can adapt this Jam Cake with toasted Hazelnuts the way you or your kids like it most. Just think of your favourite fruit and buy a jar of jam of it and add your favourite nuts and that’s it. My favourite combinations are of course this one, blueberry jam and toasted hazelnuts, or I do also like raspberry jam with almonds, or also with peanuts. The possibilities are endless. In case you have several jars of jam open you can also mix them all together and finish them by making this fantastic Jam Cake. It will turn out well, I guarantee.
100% plantbasedNo dairy or eggs are necessary for this cake. This is actually a very old, non-vegan recipe I had from years ago. But I swapped the butter for vegan butter and the eggs are replaced by a “flax egg”. That’s just crushed flax seeds, mixed with a few tablespoons of water and then set aside for about 5 minutes. This will then turn into a gelly like consistency and is added to the cake dough. It will hold together the whole thing, just as eggs do, but without the saturated animal fat and the colesterol which come with the eggs. And I swear there is no difference in the cake. So go ahead and give it a try, I’m sure you’ll already have these ingredients in your kitchen pantry. Check out my other cake recipes, perfect for your afternoon tea or coffee:
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 150 gr vegan butter
- 100 ml plantbased milk I used almond milk
- 450 gr blueberry jam or any other fruit jam
- 2 tbsp crushed flaxseeds
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups hazelnuts toasted, ground
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Make the "flax egg": Mix the crushed flax seeds with 6 tbsp of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in a big pan on low heat.
- Once melted take away from the heat and add the jam and the almond milk.
- Add the flour, hazelnuts, salt and the flax egg and mix well.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda on top and drizzle the apple cider vinegar over it. Let this bubble up a bit and then mix again carefully, just enough that everything is well integrated. Don't mix too much, otherwise your cake won't be fluffy and won't rise when baking.
- Transfer to a loaf tin (lined with non-stick baking paper) and bake it during 55-60 minutes at 180ºC.
You can swap the blueberry jam for any other jam you like, for example raspberry, cherry or strawberry jam. Also the hazelnuts can be exchanged with almonds if you prefer.
Shop this recipe
Click on the links below in order to shop the ingredients or equipment used in this recipe.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
LOAF / CAKE TIN