Before you say you don’t like Tempeh, you should try this pasta sauce. It has such a hearty, deep flavour and is creamy & smooth, so perfect with a good load of spaghetti. The liquid smoke gives a smokey barbecue flavour which goes perfectly with the mushrooms and the nice acidity of the sundried tomatoes. And I haven’t even mentioned the crunchy walnuts yet which are also in here, yessss! It is just such a perfect flavour combo! You will like it!
A very tasty, savoury pasta sauce. 100% plantbased, gluten-free and packed with protein from the chickpea-tempeh.
You will only use 1 big wok for this pasta sauce. I had a lot of eggplants from the garden so I made a big batch on Sunday and we can eat from it for the rest of the week. You can either mix this sauce with pasta, or it goes also very well with any type of beans, especially chickpeas.
This is a total beginner recipe, so easy to make. You literally just have to chop some veggies, mix the spices and then add these ingredients to the wok, stir around a bit, boil some pasta and that’s it. Dinner ready. The quantities are quite generous, so you will have for 2-3 more meals. Perfect for meal preparation, too.
I have linked some of the ingredients at the bottom of the recipe, so you can shop them directly if needed.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 1 big red bell pepper chopped
- 3 medium eggplant halved & sliced
- 20 button mushrooms sliced
- 250 gr Chickpea-Tempeh grated
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1.5 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup plantbased milk
- 3 cup veggie stock
- 6 tbsp soy sauce for glutenfree version, just check for glutenfree tamari soy sauce
- 3/4 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Put a wok on high heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, ontions, red bell pepper and 1 tsp of salt and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add egglants and 2 cups of the veggie stock and stri-fry for another 5 mintues.
- Add mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, tempeh all the ingredients of the "Miso-Spice-Mix" and another cup of veggie stock to the wok and cook until all veggies are soft and tender.
- Add nutritional yeast, walnuts and 1 cup of plantbased milk and stir-fry for some minutes more until you get a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Serve with pasta or chickpeas. Decorate with parsley.
Perfect for meal prep.
Feel free to share this recipe with your friends & family by clicking the corresponding button of your preferred social media channel!
Shop this recipe
Click on the links below in order to shop the ingredients or equipment used in this recipe.