This smokey tofu sandwich is one of the best – if not THE BEST – sandwich I ever tasted. This delicious vegan smokey tofu sandwich can be prepared easily and set together whenever you’re ready to eat it! Smokey, miso-maple caramelized onions with mushrooms, oven-roasted veggies, slices of smoked tofu and a secret ingredient which makes all the difference. Please do yourself a favour and try this super tasty combo!
Perfect for prepping
You can easily prepare the key ingredients in advance and keep refrigerated. So during the week it is just putting the sandwich together and it takes literally only 5-10 minutes. So usually on the weekend I prepare the oven-roasted veggies and make the caramelized mushrooms-onions with the tofu and then just keep it in the fridge. If you’re really in a hurry, just skip the Avocado and use only with the rest of the ingredients and you won’t be disappointed!
If you don’t have available the Romesco Sauce you can google it or search on Pinterest and you can do it yourself, it is easy and totally worth it. The mix of this sauce with the smokey miso mushrooms is so delicious. Or: another great combo with these mushrooms is my vegan nacho cheese sauce, a perfect substitue for the romesco sauce.
My spicy oven-baked potato wedges go perfectly with this sandwich.
It might seem a lot of work, but once you have the oven-roasted veggies and the smokey mushrooms, it is actually just 5-10 minutes you have a super tasty tofu sandwich ready for lunch or dinner. I do also use this for our car trips to Switzerland. I just prepare the miso-maple mushrooms with the tofu and keep it in an air-tight container. In the car I take a slice of a good bread, put the mushroom-mix and a slice of tofu on it and top it with a dollop of either the Romesco. Or the Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce. So good and nourishing for on the go!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
|Passive Time||30 minutes|
- 16 slices bread sourdough if possible, or gluten-free if needed
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- some leafy greens for example butter lettuce or spinach
- 1 jar Romesco Sauce (typical Catalan sauce made with tomatoes, almonds, hazelnuts & red bell peppers)
- 400 gr Smoked Tofu cut in slices
- 2 red onions cut in rings
- 18 button mushrooms if available, brown ones, cut in slices
- 8 sundried tomatoes cut in slices
- 1 tsp brown rice miso paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 4 tbsp soy sauce for glutenfree version check for tamari glutenfree soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke optional
Smokey Mushroom Mix
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Cut the eggplant in fine slices and put on a baking tray. Sprinkle some salt and a few drops of olive oil on them.
- Place the whole red bell pepper on the same baking tray.
- Place in the oven and let the eggplant slices roast during 15-20 minutes until they are soft and roasted.
- The bell pepper might take a few minutes longer. Bake until the skin gets dark and almost black, then take out of the oven and let it cool down a bit.
- Peel the red bell pepper and cut into 4-5 slices.
- Prepare the guacamole: Mash the avocados and place in a bowl.
- Mix with lemon or lime juice, chili flakes and sea salt and set aside.
- Now on to the smokey stuff: First prepare the miso-marinade by mixing all the ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the sliced mushrooms and the onion rings in the marinade and mix everything very well.
- Then put a wok on medium-heat and cook everything during 5-10 minutes until it starts reducing and caramelizing.
- Add the tofu slices and let them cook for another 5-8 minutes until everything is covered with the now sticky, smokey-miso sauce. Tip: if it gets too dry or sticky, just add a bit of veggie stock until you get the desired consisteny. Then turn the heat off and set aside.
- Now we’re ready to put everything together: Toast the bread slices.
- It actually doesn’t matter how you set together the sandwich, i usually do it in the following order: Bread slice – Guacamole – Lettuce – Eggplant & Red bell pepper – Tofu slice – Smokey mushrooms – Romesco Sauce – Bread slice.
If you don't have available the Romesco Sauce you can google it or search on Pinterest and you can do it yourself, it is easy and totally worth it. The mix of this sauce with the smokey miso mushrooms is so delicious.
Do you like this recipe? Feel free to share with your friends & family!
Shop this recipe
Click on the links below in order to shop the ingredients or equipment used in this recipe.
BROWN RICE MISO